Thursday, January 1, 2009

Phooey

I've gone from plateau to weight gain. Something about Momentum did me in. In the past two weeks I've gained 4.4 pounds, for a total loss of 21.6 pounds.

Momentum threw me for a loop, so my group leader gave me the Week 6 booklet, which re-introduces Core under its new name, "Simply Filling." It didn't help. I was completely undone. Clearly, I'm suffering diet fatigue or winter blues or sloth -- maybe all three.

Between Christmas Day and my weigh in, I gave my next step a lot of thought. Because I obviously couldn't get back on Core, I needed to do something else. I knew that if I tried to count and measure and weigh, I'd fail once again. Remembering what I'd read recently about willpower, I decided that rather than trying to make a wholesale change all at once, I'd set my sights lower and start with a small change.

This week I've been tracking. I have not calculated or recorded any Points; I have not recorded my satisfaction level; I have not checked off any of the Good Health Guidelines. I have carried my Tracker with me and written down what I've eaten. I have also paid attention to how full I feel throughout the day.

I got on the scales once this week and was surprised at how much I weighed. It wasn't a pleasant surprise, but afterward I realized that I hadn't weighed myself at home during these awful weeks of weight gain, so the scale was just reflecting what I already knew.

It doesn't matter what the scale reads on Saturday, although I think I'll probably have stayed the same. It hasn't been easy to track everything so I'll probably spend at least one more week tracking before I start counting Points.

This has been discouraging and disappointing and upsetting. And when I get really down on myself I recall that I haven't missed a meeting since I joined Weight Watchers; if there's one thing I've learned in all this time it's to tough it out and continue attending meetings. That thought actually cheers me because I know that as long as I attend weekly, I'll eventually find my way back to an eating plan I can live with and that will enable me to lose weight.

Until then, though, it's going to be a long slog through deep snow.

No comments: