Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Meeting Is a Meeting

Last Saturday I was visiting family in Michigan, so I didn't post. I did, however, attend a Weight Watchers' meeting. It was fascinating to attend a meeting in a different location. My local meeting is in a building built just for WW, with semi-private cubicles for weighing and a room with tiered seating and a large white board at the front for meetings. It's a lovely location.

The meeting I attended in Michigan was in a storefront on the town's main street. Weighing wasn't private but the staff was very discreet (as they are at my home location). The meeting room had folding chairs and a schoolroom or church-basement feel. There was instant coffee or hot chocolate for the honor-system donation of a quarter (with the Points noted for the hot chocolate). The turnout was good. I was surprised that the Monthly Pass payment option wasn't available.

The differences, though, were superficial. I found the same WW values in Michigan that I experience in Maine: welcoming, non-judgmental, friendly, supportive. I struck up a conversation with some of the women at the Michigan meeting as easily as I do in Maine. The sharing, applause, and discussion were interchangeable. The group leader was experienced and, although not as funny or motivational as my favorite leader, she was as good as other leaders in Maine.

It was a fascinating, interesting experience. I highly recommend it!

No comments: