Saturday, June 28, 2008

Going to the Dogs

Lost weight again this week! I lost 1.8 pounds for a total of 24 pounds.

Despite my unrelenting exhaustion, all-over achyness, and sore hips, I started walking the dogs again this week. I told myself that if I got up before 6, I'd walk the dogs. That happened on Thursday. Off we went . . . slowly.

It had been months since the dogs and I had sauntered forth so they had lots of catching up to do. We ambled around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes, Amy & Cody sniffing up the news they'd missed.

We walked yesterday and today, too, always slowly and for about 20 minutes. The good news is that the walks have not made me feel worse afterward. I gave up our walks because they exhausted me (the formal name is "exercise intolerance"). My doctor recommended I start with a 5-minute walk and increase it by 15 seconds a day; Zaphod suggested I use my treadmill; I was so exhausted that I couldn't find the energy to do even that.

So, why can I walk for 20 minutes now? My fibromyalgia hasn't let up much and my sleep isn't any better. I think I've got the energy because I'm not exhausting myself by sitting upright at work. The office recliner I bought about a month ago has made a difference in how I feel at the end of the work day.

I'm still spending most of my time working and recovering from work, but getting out with the dogs is progress.

No comments: