Saturday, July 5, 2008

Independence from What?

I gained two pounds this week, for a total of 22 pounds lost. I'm confident I gained all two pounds yesterday. Clearly, I haven't gained my independence from overeating on Independence Day.

I did try to eat reasonably, but the cauliflower salad, bean salad, and potato salad were all too much to resist. And I succumbed to the smell of grilled meat and ate a cheeseburger. In penance, I passed on the brownies (that I had made), although by the time I served the brownies, I wasn't much interested in them.

This menu would not have added two pounds to my weight if I hadn't also overeaten before the cookout. I'm still in the clutches of serious starchy-carb cravings, so when I decided that I should make sure I wasn't hungry when I arrived at the cookout, I went for the pretzels. Pretzels and fat-free (but not calorie-free) cream cheese.

For breakfast, I'd had a ciabatta roll with (fat-free-but-not-calorie-free) cream cheese and pretzels. Mid-day I'd had beans and tomatoes -- low calorie, high fiber, and not satisfying for long enough.

I'd gotten on the scale yesterday morning, so I knew if I could behave myself, I might show a loss for the week. Alas, when I got on the scale this morning before WW, I knew I'd be facing a gain.

The good news in this, of course, is that I can get the two pounds off pretty quickly because some of it must be water-weight gain from all the starchy carbs and salt.

Will I? Actually, yeah, I think I will. I'm about to head out to Michigan to spend a week with Dad; the last time I was out there I managed to finally get him to understand that I really, truly didn't want to go to any breakfast buffets because I'm powerless before them and always eat too much. We avoided the breakfast buffets, I weighed in and went to a meeting out there, and fared pretty well (at least that's how I remember it!).

No comments: