Sunday, July 20, 2008

Math Phobia?

Aarrrggghhh! I lost 1.4 pounds this week for a total loss of 22.4.

There's a "receptionist" (I hate that term) at my WW's meeting who always has trouble with subtraction. Three weeks ago she struck again and recorded that I'd gain 2 pounds when I had actually gained 3. I've learned to check her math but didn't that week. I finally caught the error today when I was recording my weight in the multiple places I track it.

Sigh.
I thought that despite gaining some weight I'd managed to stay below my 10%, but for a couple of weeks I didn't. Not that it matters -- no wait, it does, or I wouldn't be writing about it. It took me a long time to get below 10% and once I got there I thought I'd be able to stay there.

Last week I was on vacation at my dad's house. I neither gained nor lost, which is always a victory after a week with my dad. We go out to breakfast every morning when I visit. I always eat too much when I eat breakfast out, so I have to eat less the rest of the day when I do it. That's hard to do when I'm just hanging out at my dad's condo all day, as we did all week this time. Dad is 82 and starting to slow down.

The way I didn't gain weight was to pay attention to whether I was actually hungry. Without a routine to provide cues, I was better at judging my hunger. I was also more aware of assessing my hunger. Small progress, but progress just the same.

No comments: