Saturday, November 22, 2008

Water Does Matter

I enjoyed Zaphod's birthday dinner & leftovers for three nights and two breakfasts, which made me wonder if I might gain weight from it. It occurred to me that maybe I wasn't eating enough protein, so maybe I'd escape the dreaded weight gain if I ate responsible portions. Marian's Spaghetti Casserole typically contains ground beef and that's the way I made it this year. I generally eat a vegetarian diet, but I made an exception for this meal, primarily because I don't remember making Zaphod's birthday dinner for him last year.

Later in the week it dawned on me that I haven't been drinking as much water as usual. I'm not sure why because I've sipped on something all day since I was a kid. I'm a mouth-breather and always have been. I was well into adulthood before I realized that I always had a beverage at hand (typically iced tea) because I was a mouth-breather and, therefore, exhaling lots of moisture all day and all night. I haven't become a nose-breather, so I'm baffled as to why I've stopped sipping all the time. Regardless, once I realized I wasn't drinking enough water, I started to drink more.

VoilĂ ! I lost 1.6 pounds this week a total loss of 25 pounds. Whew! I was beginning to think I'd lost the ability to lose weight!

Was it the water? Or the protein? Or both? I hope it was the water but I'm not going to find out for a week or two because I bought some deli turkey today. I became a vegetarian, originally, because I detest the factory-farming of animals and, later, because I can't kill an animal myself, so I shouldn't expect others to do it for me. My rationalization for the turkey? Turkeys have been bred to be so stupid they won't come in out of the rain. A weak rationalization, I know. If it does become clear that it's the protein, I'll have to calculate just how much protein I'm getting from a vegetarian diet and get serious about getting enough without killing animals to do so.

Maybe I've grown tired of iced tea. I sucked down lots of water yesterday when I switched to water with True Orange in it. Yum! By the way, I love True Lemon or True Lime in my fat-free, strained (Greek), plain yogurt with some Splenda or erythritol, a sugar alcohol like xylitol.

1 comment:

Twisted Cinderella said...

I hope its the water and you continue to lose!