Monday, January 21, 2008

Paradigm Shift

Yesterday was my first day of strict (sort of) adherence to the Detoxx Diet. I said strict (sort of) because I had two slices of Ezekiel sprouted bread and only one is allowed. I also sprinkled bread crumbs on top of the spaghetti squash casserole.

Low-fat, vegetarian eating is second nature to me. This high-fat, meat-centric eating is hard work. I shopped for groceries for 90 minutes yesterday and was exhausted afterwards. I've calculated the points for some of the foods I'm eating, but in most cases I just don't want to know. Denial is not going to make it any easier to lose weight, I know, but until I can get past my craving for grains I don't really want to know how high the points are.

As a result of not counting the points, I've become more conscious of portion control. And I'm asking myself more often whether I'm actually hungry. Weight Watchers has many maxims/mantras/aphorisms that are repeated almost every meeting (well, I suppose it depends on the leader) and eventually they start to sink in. The one that's helping me adjust to the Detoxx Diet is "stop, rest, and assess." My adaptation of this is to serve myself a reasonable amount of food, enjoy it fully as I eat it, then let my brain catch up to my stomach before I decide whether I want more.

A new koan to ponder: What is the sound of a paradigm shift? Or should that be: What is the taste of a paradigm shift?

2 comments:

DaleK said...

Hi Jesse,

What does a paradigm shift taste like? Hmmm, well, I can tell you that when I tried to go back to eating McDonald's french fries after a nine month detox, they didn't taste very good and left a coating of grease on the inside of my mouth!

I did South Beach last year. I hardly moved out of Phase 1 which is no sugar and (I think) 1 or 2 servings of grains a day. After having lived on Hostess cupcakes for a few months after I quit smoking, well, giving up sugar and the other not so great carbs was probably the third hardest thing I've done in my life. I remember being in the grocery store envying the people rummaging through the piles of boxed donuts, thinking, "If they can eat that why can't I?"

Then the change happened. I ate some ice cream and ended up with a sugar hangover! Sugar gives me a hangover!

These days, I don't miss the stuff all that much, and I still do indulge every once in a while. Though, I don't go nuts because of how it makes me feel.

When my ex and I separated years ago I was sure I would never get over it. Then a funny thing happened. I got happy. I didn't realize how unhappy I'd been in that relationship until I was out of it.

I have found my relationship dietary habits to be much the same! I'm sure you will too!

Jessie said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I know it seems impossible now, but knowing you did a nine-month and were glad of it is awesomely inspirational!