Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Aw, Gee-eee

So I saw Dr. Sean today. No wait, I dragged my sorry butt in to see Dr. Sean today. Afterwards, I dragged my sorry butt home because I was too weak to work at the office.

Dr. Sean thinks my extreme fatigue is a "detox reaction." I'm intimately familiar with detox reactions because I have Lyme disease (I may always have Lyme disease, but that's a whole blog in itself and I'll let someone else tackle that one). The full name for a detox reaction is Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction, first noted by two dermatologists named Jarisch & Herxheimer (natch) when they saw how sick syphilis patients got when the antibiotics took hold. Dermatologists?

I presented my hypothesis that no, I wasn't "herxing" (as it's called by us Lymies) but instead I need grains. We sparred for a while -- no, that's not really fair to Dr. Sean; he's an agreeable young man (aarrggghhh! my doctor is a young man). We discussed the possibility for a while then turned to the results of the extensive blood tests I had in January.

OK, OK, so I caved. Well no, that's not exactly right, either. I've invested a lot in this protocol -- and I am talking dollars. I'm not the least bit invested in the diet or all the pills and oils I have to consume. The supplements, blood tests, doctor's visits, and groceries are significant costs. Oh, OK, the groceries aren't that bad.

I told the good doctor that I would commit to the protocol (which includes the Detoxx Diet) for another month. I'd melt my credit card and buy all the supplements I need to embrace the protocol completely. If I don't feel better after all of this, we'll move on to something else.

In the meantime, my weight loss may go on hold. Recall that the Detoxx Diet is a high-fat diet. I doubt that I can down all the fats I need to ingest and lose weight. If I start to feel better, though, I'll be able to get some exercise. My goal, then, is to maintain for the next month.

I'll continue to attend Weight Watchers meetings because I know that regardless of how the Detoxx Diet works for me, I'll never again have a metabolism that regulates my eating (ah, someday I'll wax nostalgic about my metabolic golden age, when my thyroid functioned to give me energy). I believe I'm always going to need the support those weekly meetings provide.

No comments: