Saturday, February 16, 2008

Yowza!

I lost 2 pounds! I'm down a total of 19.8 pounds. I'm delighted, of course, but surprised because I expected to stay the same or maybe lose just a little bit.

In the past week I've had almost no exercise, except for bringing in wood for the woodstove and s l o w l y climbing the stairs at work as infrequently as possible.

The Atkins effect may be at work here (ketosis -- it's not a good thing) and if it is, I'm not happy about it.

Or maybe it's that I'm eating just for fuel. In the long run that may be a good thing. In the short run, though, I'm grieving for the time when I enjoyed meals.

Today in the bakery department I looked around and thought, "What if this diet works? What if it's what my body needs now? Will I never again be able to enjoy some crusty bread or take delight in baking?" I picked up the package of Kaiser rolls I had come to retrieve for Zaphod's sandwiches and turned toward the deli. No point in dwelling on the possibility of living with this diet forever because I'm not feeling better . . . yet.

No comments: