Saturday, February 2, 2008

It Could Have Been Worse

I gained .6 pounds this week. It was a tough week and I could have easily gained more. Zaphod, bless his heart, said, "That's not bad because you lost 3 pounds last week."

It was a tough week for two reasons: I had fatigue that kept me home from work for two days and the Detoxx Diet.

When I work at work (instead of at home, as I do when I have a bout of fatigue), I get more exercise because my office is on the second floor. The coffee maker, the bathroom, and most of the staff are on the first floor, so I'm up and down the stairs multiple times a day. When I work at home I spend all day in my recliner and get up only to get something to eat or to go to the bathroom, activities that I can accomplish by expending almost no energy.

I have continued to adhere to the Detoxx Diet (except for the french fries at dinner last Saturday after a movie). And I was hungry all week. So I didn't limit my portions of beef or pork or chicken and I'm sure I ate over my Points allowance every day. The solution, of course, is to track my Points and measure every blessed bite of food. Grrrr.

Today's Weight Watchers meeting was about how to handle Super Bowl parties, although not many of the people at the meeting were going to a Super Bowl party, so the leader broadened the discussion to functions in general. As part of the discussion we talked about how this is a "lifestyle change" and not a diet. Not eating foods one enjoys is bound to lead to failure.

I accept that but how do I square that with the Detoxx Diet? I can't. I hate the Detoxx Diet. I'd be a vegetarian if I could but for two things: 1) Zaphod isn't a vegetarian and 2) the Detoxx Diet.

Zaphod is a meat-and-potatoes type of eater, which makes preparing vegetarian meals a challenge. I know this from experience because I tried hard to eat vegetarian for a long time before the Detoxx Diet came along.

The Detoxx Diet put an end to my vegetarianism. There is a vegetarian version of the diet, but it's even harder to follow than the carnivore version.

I see my Detoxx doctor in two weeks. At that point I'll have followed the diet closely for a month. And then he and I will discuss it.

No comments: