Friday, September 19, 2008

T'ai Chi!

I recently started taking t'ai chi classes again.

I've loved t'ai chi from the very first time I encountered it. It combines movement and meditation, which from the very beginning have made me feel at peace. While yoga has its appeal, t'ai chi has a stronger pull for me because of its movement. I've been a dancer at heart from the time my mother enrolled me as a pre-schooler in dance lessons ( I remember them as modern-dance lessons, but they were probably more akin to movement and rhythm lessons).

The power of t'ai chi came home to me in the class I attended during my first Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction (also known as a "herx"). I had been diagnosed with Lyme disease and was taking antibiotics. A herx occurs when there is a die-off of bacteria, which then release toxins and make a person even sicker. I went to the t'ai chi class because I figured it would help me to feel better. It did.

Unfortunately, I couldn't continue with t'ai chi because I developed chronic fatigue then fibromyalgia and couldn't do much else besides work (and I needed to work for the health insurance; ah, the irony).

Fibromylagia kept me from all exercise, even my morning walks with the dogs. Once the nasty flare that resulted in my fibromyalgia diagnosis started to recede, I started to think about how to become more active. Then I experienced two very nasty bouts of vertigo that led to minor vertigo on a daily basis.

Hmmmm, vertigo = balance. What's good for balance? Ah ha! T'ai chi.

It feels very good to be back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Yes, tai chi got me on my feet after hepathitis. It's good. However, with my present experience in healing, I would suggest that you should also devote some energy to solve the inner cause of the bodily ailment. Have you read the book "Disease As the Way" (or smth. like that) by Torwald Detlelsen & Ridiger Dahlke?

By the way, I was intrigued by the note at the bottom of screen mentioning Portland. Are you really living there?? So lucky!! For me, going to Portland is just a dream (I live in Latvia). Do you know that Portland is the Nia Technique world headquarters? That Debbie and Carlos Rosas, its founders, live and teach there? And if you have not yet discovered how fantastic can be its benefits, just know that it has transformed many lives (I'm on the way, too).

Love and happiness to you.
Guntis
Niafitness@inbox.lv

Jessie said...

Thank you, Guntis, for your comment!

So far, t'ai chi has been terrific.

The Portland you're referring to is Portland, Oregon. I live in Portland, Maine.

Portland, Oregon, is on the far west coast of the United States. Portland, Maine, is on the far east coast.

Your comment, however, has made me do some research into the Nia Technique and I'm intrigued! I'm going to find out more about it.