Saturday, September 6, 2008

Slowly Going, Going . . . eventually gone

Lost .2 pounds this week for a total of 26.8 pounds lost. I'm not discouraged by such a small weight loss because I had the presence of mind to check my folder before getting weighed. I noticed that I'd lost week for five weeks in a row. I decided that if I didn't lose weight this week it would be OK because I can't expect to lose weight every week. Now I can say that I've lost weight six weeks in a row.

I spent the week trying to eat every three hours or so. I'm not a natural at this, so it was hard work and I'm still getting the hang of it. The reason I'm doing this is that I was recently diagnosed with vestibular migraines; they're migraines with vertigo and nausea, sometimes an aura, but no headache. The doctor I saw suggested I avoid the traditional migraine-headache triggers to see if I can reduce the frequency and severity of vertigo I experience; I experience vertigo and nausea daily, sometimes many times a day. He also suggested I try other things, such as eating more often to produce more even levels of blood sugar in my body.

Being a reference librarian at heart, I did a fair amount of research. It's easy to find lists of migraine triggers on line. It's much harder to find people who have actually reduced the frequency or severity of their migraines by avoiding the traditional triggers.

Based on my research, I concluded that the technique with the highest likelihood of success was eating throughout the day. Now I eat a regular breakfast then have a piece of fruit mid-morning, a small lunch, yogurt mid-afternoon, sometimes popcorn late afternoon, then dinner. I used to eat the fruit, salad, and yogurt at lunch.

So far I've seen no improvement in my vertigo or nausea. I have seen improvement in my ability to tell when I'm hungry and when I'm satisfied, which, as you may know, is a key component of the WW Core plan. Progress can made be made under strange circumstances.

I'm not optimistic that I'll be able to make a difference in how often or how severely I experience vertigo or nausea. It's entirely possible that this is just another manifestation of fibromyalgia, a possibility the doctor candidly discussed with me.

No comments: