Saturday, September 20, 2008

When is a gain a loss?

Gained weight this week. I wasn't surprised. I gained a pound, so my loss is now at 25.6 pounds, but still past that magical 25-pound mark I was lusting after not too long ago.

I attribute the gain to two things: 1) I ate out twice last week and had fish & chips both times; and 2) IBS.

I cleaned my plate both times I ate out. I had no excuse last Saturday for cleaning my plate and finishing the meal with some (disappointing) key lime pie. I know exactly why I cleaned my plate on Wednesday night: I'd had a full afternoon at work and hadn't eaten anything since lunch. Add to that a menu that had very little that was vegetarian or Core. I eat a lot of salads and I just couldn't face another one, so I went with the fish & chips. Once I made that decision, I just went with it and enjoyed my meal.

IBS is irritable bowel syndrome. It's a common feature of fibromyalgia. Most people have either the constipation version or the diarrhea version of IBS. I swing between the two and I never know when one or the other is going to arrive. Last week I had (and still have) the constipation version.

Add to the eating-out and the IBS the cool weather we've had recently, which means I showed up for my weigh-in wearing jeans and a turtleneck instead of shorts and a polo shirt, and a one-pound increase seems positively insignificant! Right?

No comments: