Monday, December 10, 2007

We'll Find a Weigh

Zaphod left a comment in rhyme to my Dec. 8 post, ending with "You'll find a weigh." Zaphod is my civil partner (and husband). In the past I've always dieted on my own and kept my own counsel on it. This time around I'm trying to be more forthcoming about it. I don't think anyone except medical professionals will ever know what I weigh, but I have been telling Zaphod how much I've lost or gained each week.

Yesterday we talked about how I've always had to fight the feeling that having a weight problem is a character flaw. It probably stems from the fact that I developed a weight problem the very moment I hit puberty. Which is why this last round of weight gain has been so difficult to accept, coming as it did after a two- or three-year period of energy and weight loss that I attributed to finally getting it right but actually was due to my thyroid working overtime.

Now that my thyroid has flamed out I'm once again fighting the old character-flaw issue. Weight Watchers helps a lot with that because it is so positive and so supportive. Knowing that Zaphod wants me to succeed is also very positive & supportive. Bluesky is joining me on the journey (phooey-- "journey" is just a euphemism for "struggle"; that's one Weight Watchers positive I may never get used to) -- more about her later.

No comments: